1. Easy to build — You can easily convert a shed or garage to a nice office space. If you have a little area within your property that is large enough and just crying out for something, you can have an office built to your specifications.
2. Healthy Environment — Fresh air; Natural light; Free from office ‘germs’; Quiet; A short walk from the house
3. Freedom — Set your own hours; Walk the dog at lunchtime; Pull a weed or two if you need thinking time; Wear clothes that are comfortable; Communicate via webcam, internet, email, etc. from the comfort of your own space
4. Less Stress — Your own space not shared with anyone else; No commuting on unreliable public transportation or on busy roads; Make your own schedule
5. Save on Travel Time and Emissions — Commuting time will be about 30 seconds and you’ll be saving fuel as well as wear and tear on your car.
6. Your Own Space — Designed the way you want it
7. Security — Your home will be more secure with you there during the day
8. Flexibility — Need to pick your child up from school? Or perhaps you just want to spend a half hour with a family member; Work at night if you want; Make your own hours
9. Equity — A serviced building with electricity, phone lines, etc, will add value to your property
10. Peace of Mind — Just being in your own space with all of the other benefits will provide you with this.
Julie McGloin As you can see, there are great benefits to working from your own home based office. This article has concentrated on an office within the grounds of your property, separate from your home, rather than a spare bedroom. A spare bedroom can work too. From this author’s experience, one needs to be very disciplined to keep work materials to that room alone and to make sure to keep away from that room when it’s family time. An office that requires you to go outside does just that.